Sept. 11, 2012
Tyler & Company is pleased to announce that this international executive healthcare search has officially closed. We congratulate Louis M. Martin, former Chief Financial Officer of Genolier Swiss Medical Network, the second largest Swiss private group of hospitals. He has accepted the opportunity of Chief Executive Officer at Hôpital Albert Schweitzer in Haiti.
Hospital in Haiti launches search for CEO
Interim Managing Director Rawson maintains role during search
If you are a member of the media, please contact:
Director of Communications
Tyler & Company
T: +1 918 949 3609
If you have inquiries about the opportunity, please contact:
Senior Research Associate
Tyler & Company
T: +1 770 396 3939
March 21, 2012
Deschapelles, Haiti – The board of directors of Hôpital Albert Schweitzer Haiti (HAS) has announced the launch of a search for a Chief Executive Officer for the hospital, which has been operating in Haiti since 1956. Hôpital Albert Schweitzer Haiti operates a regional referral hospital and diverse community programs that provide the only source of medical and development services for more than 350,000 people in Haiti’s Artibonite Valley.
“While much work remains to be done in Haiti today, there is great progress and great hope,” said John Walton, chairman of the board. “For more than 50 years, Hôpital Albert Schweitzer Haiti has provided care for people in Haiti who have few or no other options. Today, we are launching a search for an individual with unique leadership skills to fill a compelling role as CEO of a hospital during a critical time in Haiti. We are also expressing gratitude to our interim managing director Ian Rawson, who has fulfilled his interim role for three years. Associated with the institution since its founding, Mr. Rawson’s commitment to HAS has been invaluable.”
Founded by Dr. Larimer Mellon and named after Albert Schweitzer, HAS is a 120-bed hospital that maintains a primarily Haitian staff supported by visiting clinicians from around the world.
The hospital performs more than 2,000 surgical procedures annually and has made measurable impacts eradicating health conditions and common diseases through immunizations. As an extension of the hospital’s reach, innovative community-based health and development programs have been created to address the root causes of many health issues. These programs and partnerships include rehabilitation, prosthetics and orthotics, water and sanitation, agro forestry and a focus on malnutrition among Haitian children.
The board of directors is working with Atlanta-based executive search firm Tyler & Company, which specializes in the healthcare industry. The five-office firm is a member of Signium International. “We are searching for a unique individual who can provide leadership for a multinational management team, sustain collaborative relationships with partners in the public and private sectors and advance the institution through fundraising efforts. It’s a compelling and exciting role for a strong leader,” said Walton.
The CEO’s principal residence will be at the hospital campus in Deschapelles. Familiarity with French and the capability to learn Haitian Kreyol are preferred. For more information, go to www.tylerandco.com or click here for the direct link (available while the search is open).
ABOUT Hôpital Albert Schweitzer
Located in Deschapelles, HAS operates a 120-bed hospital that admitted more than 10,000 patients in 2010. Beyond the main campus, HAS operates outpatient clinics and maintains four health centers that receive thousands of patients each year.
Beyond, HAS operates a unique, interrelated set of special and community services including:
- Rehabilitation: During 2011, more than 5,000 consultations and therapies were provided in the hospital and outpatient clinic. In addition, PT techs visit home-bound patients.
- Prosthetics and Orthotics: The prosthetics service has provided more than 1,200 new limbs since the January 2010 earthquake, and is the largest such service in the country. At the end of 2011, the service was expanded to include orthotics.
- Community Services: HAS operates four health centers in outlying areas that reached more than 78,000 people in 2011. In remote locations, HAS provides mobile clinics and offers HAS-trained birth attendants and family-planning services.
- Focus on Malnutrition: With support from UNICEF and other partners, HAS initiated an innovative program focused on reducing the rates of malnutrition that includes the distribution of micronutrients and community-based education.
- Water and Sanitation: HAS’ community-based water resource and sanitation program completed its 200th well in 2010. In 2011, HAS constructed 262 new latrines and supported three local Rotary clubs to install 365 additional latrines.
- Agro-Forestry: HAS initiated a community-based agro-forestry program that operates in 41 communities and is on target to reach its goal of planting 1 million trees by 2016.
- Partnerships: HAS collaborates with the French Red Cross and the Swiss organization Helvetas to plan major water systems in the Artibonite valley.
The hospital maintains staff in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, for financial management, development and communications. More information is available at www.hashaiti.org.
ABOUT Tyler & Company
Tyler & Company specializes in healthcare and life science executive search. The five-office firm is consistently ranked in the top 20 largest executive healthcare search firms by Modern Healthcare. Tyler & Company celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2008. Tyler & Company is a member of Signium International, which provides Tyler & Company clients with global executive solutions in support of the firm’s practices in the life sciences, medical devices and biotechnology. Visit www.tylerandco.com to learn more.
ABOUT Signium International
Founded in 1951 in New York by Wardwell Howell, Signium International currently is represented in 28 countries by 44 offices with more than 150 executive search and HR consultants. Signium International offers high-quality services for its national and multinational clients, bringing a global perspective as well as key local knowledge to each assignment. Signium International is one of the founding firms of the Association of Executive Search Consultants (AESC), which developed the professional Code of Ethics for the industry. These high standards of professional practice are upheld by the consortium today. Visit www.signium.com to learn more.